Atlanta Gas Light warns of scam (Marietta and Decatur areas)
ATLANTA – Sept. 13, 2013 – Atlanta Gas Light is warning customers of a scam, currently occurring in the Marietta and Decatur area, in which a person is reportedly impersonating utility employees in an attempt to obtain customers’ account and personal information.
This week, Atlanta Gas Light began receiving reports from several customers who said that a man claiming to be a company employee knocked on their doors and stated he could lower their natural gas costs if they showed him their gas bills. According to the customers, the impersonator, described as a male between 25 and 30 years of age, was persistent and got irritated when customers refused the request.
Atlanta Gas Light is working with local authorities as they continue to investigate these incidents. The company also is warning residents to take the necessary precautions to ensure their personal safety and protect their identity.
Below are recommended guidelines:
- Atlanta Gas Light will never dispatch a representative to your residence to view your natural gas bill.
- Whenever a field service representative or contractor is conducting business on behalf of Atlanta Gas Light, they will provide official company identification.
- If you any have concerns about someone claiming to be a utility representative, please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-427-5463 to confirm that an Atlanta Gas Light representative has been scheduled to perform work at your premises.
- Customers who believe they are a victim of this type of scam should contact their local police departments.
- For more information, visit atlantagaslight.com