LEFT: a schematic recently shared by Walmart. RIGHT: current state of construction (2nd week August 2015).Walmart in progress -- as seen from Medlock Road.
A quick recap:
- The store is projected to open in November 2015.
- Walmart reserves the right to open 24 hours/day but the current plan is to open 6am - midnight.
- 150,000 sq ft super center that will offer merchandise and groceries.
- The store will not have an optical center or a tire/lube center
- The store will not carry guns but will carry ammunition
- the store will include a small garden center with some outdoor and seasonal merchandise
- the store will employ 300 people. Hiring for this store is now in progress (scroll to end of this post)*
- trucks servicing Walmart will enter from North Decatur Rd. at the new traffic signal, proceed to the back of the building and on to the loading docks there. The trucks can back directly into the loading docks. Trucks will exit onto Medlock Road, and proceed to Scott Blvd. We should expect 3-5 trucks per day
- improving the intersection and the light timing (for Medlock Rd.) are part of every discussion
For our previous posts on the ongoing revitalization of Suburban Plaza and MANA's involvement in the planning process, please click here.
|Overall Suburban Plaza site plan, includes Walmart and other retail. Ten-foot wide multi-use path|
along North Decatur Road is highlighted (bottom left).
|Detail of exterior finishes, lower-level (underground) parking garage and traffic patterns around the Walmart store.|
* Hiring contact information provided by Walmart is as follows:
phone: 404-471-1457, 404-471-1458; fax is 404-471-1460.
The hiring site is 2179 Lawrenceville Hwy, Decatur GA, 30033
Also see this DeKalb Workforce hiring event scheduled for August 12, 13 and 14, 2015.